Saturday, September 12, 2015

How Many Times Can I Use the Word "Dehydrating"?

My friend Donna, over at the OLD WAYS, NEW TIMES blog, has been telling me about how great her dehydrators are. She has three of them going practically round the clock and has been dehydrating just about everything she finds on sale at the markets. She is a dehydrating Queen, I tell ya!

Two days ago I was at our local market and they had a really good sale on sliced mushrooms. I stood there thinking, "These would be perfect for dehydrating". After much debate I ended up buying 5 pounds of them. The debating came about because, while they were perfect for dehydrating I didn't actually have a dehydrator yet. So, after I left there, I headed over to the BigK and luckily they had what I was looking for, plus it was on sale (SCORE!).

I have to say, so far I love the thing. For the past two days I have been sucking the moisture out of  mushrooms right and left! Out of the 5 pounds of mushrooms I have dehydrated and vacuum canned 5 pints, which should be enough to get us through the winter soup/stew season. The only downside so far is that hubby and daughter have discovered that they don't much like the smell of mushrooms being dehydrated. They are really glad that I am finished.

Today when we went over to town we stopped at the grocery store. They had an amazing sale on onions: four 3 pound bags for $5.00. You guessed it, I now have 12 pounds of onions to prepare and dry.

My husband and daughter's noses may never be the same again.

Donna, you have created a monster.






No comments:

Post a Comment